As those who have entered into a covenant with God, we are not to follow him blindly, but rather through intelligent faith demonstrating diligence in His word and the teachings of Jesus. Intelligent faith is guided by certain principles. The below list a set of principles to help you employ intelligent faith. It is not meant to be all inclusive. It is just a guide.
- has a personal relationship with God, as David demonstrates in Psalm 42, 114, and 119.
- comes by hearing the word of God often and then embracing it.
- knows and can interpret scripture.
- is not mental ascent. We steadfastly rely on God’s word and his unbreakable promises. God’s word is His bond.
- remembers God’s past performance and fidelity in our lives to project and produce more rigorous faith.
- is black or white; it believes or it doesn’t.
- recognizes a trial or rough patch as an opportunity for a miracle.
- works with man and God toward an expected, celebrated outcome. In other words, God wants others in on your miracle.
- ambushes doubt and defeats the lie of “God just doesn’t care.”
- despite the circumstances, reaches up through the flood waters with outstretched hands, not in search of a life preserver, but rather in full worship and surrender. It demonstrates that God has not lost first place in our lives.
- does not parrot the words of “fantasy faith,” which only disappoints. Fantasy faith declares, “I have divine health, bless God,” “I choose when I die,” or “I command the miracle in this moment.” Intelligent faith knows the parameters of the authority given it; the measure of faith built for the particular circumstance and surrenders the rest to God. Intelligent faith understands there must be present, the tangible unction or supernatural propulsion behind the decree.
- recognizes when to make a request, to trust, to rest, and then witness God’s intervention. (Ephesians 6:13). It is in standing we witness God’s miracles.
- has elements of endurance, links with others’ faith, and moves as a unit with God, the prayers of the righteous, and the angels.
- counts all prayers of the righteous as important. The faithful fervent prayers of the righteous avail much. It doesn’t judge levels of “spirituality.” It looks upon the heart.
- is ready and expectant for a positive outcome or miracle.
- is not tested in the sunshine; it emerges out of a resolve to walk with God as a friend, partner, and life coach through the flood. Intelligent faith knows that God sticks closer than a brother.
- collects all the data when recognizing God’s hand in the situation. Every trial is considered part of God’s plan no matter how negative it may appear. “All things work together for the good for those who love God, and are called according to His purpose; not ours.
- refuses to ask “Why have you forsaken me?” knowing full well that God does not forsake us.
- knows the answer before it becomes tangible. Intelligent faith knows those who stand in the gap on our behalf, including the Holy Spirit, to effect a joyous outcome.
- hears God all the time, even when tempted to rebel against His ways.
- restores things better that before. Intelligent faith adds the victory to the case for God and His love for us.
- knows his or her authority, the weapons of his or her warfare, and the difference between intelligent faith and blind faith.
- knows we are never alone, and that the supernatural is always in operation. Intelligent faith apprehends the eternal as well as the temporal.